Friday, June 8, 2012

Rock of Ages



Glee + Burlesque + Chicago = Rock of Ages

What I liked:

  • Tom Cruise plays intense really well.  He also did a good job singing.
  • Diego Boneta has a nice voice.
  • Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand played well off of each other.
  • Catherine Zeta-Jones rocked it.
  • Paul Giamatti!  
  • Malin Akerman was great.  Who knew that she could sing?
  • Will Forte, Mary J. Blige, Bryan Cranston, T.J. Miller, Debbie Gibson, and Sebastian Back!
  • A cameo by Constantine Maroulis, who starred in the Broadway version of Rock Of Ages.
  • The pole dancers were amazing.
  • The screenplay was written by Justin Theroux, Chris D'Arienzo, and Allan Loeb.
  • Directed by Adam Shankman.
  • It's a lot funnier than I would have thought.
  • I liked the song mash-ups.

What I didn't like:
  • This movie is 90% singing and 10% dialogue.
  • The opening scene is so cheesy.
  • I am not a fan of Julianne Hough's acting or her singing. 
  • I could have done without Hough and Boneta's story line.  
  • I needed more Cruise, Bladwin, Brand, Zeta-Jones, Akerman, Blige, and Cranston.
  • The baboon (?) was funny but creepy.
  • The editing was not great.  I am sure it is hard to capture the actors lip syncing to pre-recorded tracks but it is noticeably off a lot.
  • I don't think that this Broadway Musical transfers well to the big screen.

Bottom line: you must love 80's music and musicals to really like this film.  For everyone else, there will be some amusing parts but a lot of things will annoy you.



Grade: B- 













No comments:

Post a Comment