Thursday, October 2, 2014

Gone Girl



What I liked:

  • I liked that Gillian Flynn did the screenplay.  Since she wrote the book, she would know best how to adjust it to fit in a film.
  • It was directed by David Fincher.
  • Ben Affleck is solid.
  • Rosamund Pike is fantastic.
  • The supporting cast is all great: Neil Patrick Harris, Tyler Perry, Carrie Coon, Kim Dickens, Patrick Fugit, Missi Pyle, Casey Wilson, Lola Kirke, Boyd Holbrook and Sela Ward.
  • Ward looks fantastic.

What I didn't like:
  • The trailer gives too much away.  It needed to be more cryptic. 
  • I was not surprised by the "major" twist.
  • Pike's voice sounded off for the first half hour or so.
  • It's too long.
  • The other twists are laughable and over the top.  Perhaps they are meant to be (I did not read the book) but they did not fit with my expectations of the film.
  • It was a lack luster score from Trent Reznor.

The last 45 minutes or so is a hot mess.  Some will love it, some will hate it.  It will all depend on what your expectations were going in.

Grade: B-





















No comments:

Post a Comment