Thursday, September 8, 2011

Warrior



The Fighter + Brothers + Cinderella Man = Warrior

What I liked:

  • Tom Hardy is a beast.  He looked and acted like a fighter and did a great job adding depth to his character.
  • By the marketing campaign, you would think that Hardy is the main character but you could easily argue that it was Joel Edgerton.  He too, did a fine job acting and giving depth to his character.
  • Nick Nolte!
  • It was great that Jennifer Morrison's character was a strong woman, loving wife, and devoted mom.  They could have easily made her into a nagging, annoying character.
  • Kevin Dunn and Bryan Callen provided much needed laughs.
  • The reason that this film works is because the characters have such rich back stories.  Without that, it would be a cheap version of The Fighter/Cinderella Man.
  • This movie really engages the crowd.  You can't help but cheer when they win, cringe when they crack a bone, and get misty eyed when you try to choose sides.
What I didn't like:
  • I don't get this sport at all.  
  • Would have liked a little more back story to Nolte's character.

Grade: A- 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it. Hardy was awesome in "Inception", and I've been meaning to check out "Bronson". Edgerton was fantastic in "Animal Kingdom".

    I'm looking forward to checking this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went in thinking that I would hate it but I got sucked into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more. I was expecting some cheesey MMA movie and was pleased that I was wrong. Coming from a gal that has never really been able to get into MMA, it was a great moviec. It was intense and you do really get into the characters and their story.

    ReplyDelete