Thursday, November 10, 2011

J. Edgar



What I liked:
  • Leonardo DiCaprio and Armie Hammer had great chemistry together.
  • Hammer was the highlight of the film and deserved a nomination for best supporting actor.
  • Great supporting cast with silver screen stars - Naomi Watts, Judi Dench, Dermot Mulroney, and Josh Lucas as well as small screen stars - Ed Westwick, Jordan Bridges, Josh Stamberg, Michael Rady, Ken Howard, Geoff Stults, Jeffrey Donovan, Denis O'Hare, Stephen Root, Michael Gladis, Amanda Schull, and Lea Thompson.
  • It was written by Dustin Lance Black and I liked his take on Hoover's personal life.
  • It was directed and produced by Clint Eastwood.
What I didn't like:
  • Sometimes it felt more like a history lesson instead of a film.  I think I would have preferred looking more closely at one or two parts of his life instead of seeing bits and pieces of his entire adult life.
  • I didn't are for the editing.  The scenes jumped quickly around because they tried to cram in almost 50 years into a 2.5 hour movie.
  • The makeup and prosthetics used to make DiCaprio and Hammer look older bothered me a lot.  It just didn't look natural.  Having said that, the makeup used on Watts and Dench looked very real.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment