Sunday, November 20, 2011

My Week With Marilyn



What I liked:
  • I think this is one of Michelle Williams' best performances.  When she smiled and acted like the bubbly Marilyn, she really seemed to capture Monroe's essence.  Having said that, when she played the sad, depressed Marilyn, I saw less Monroe and more Williams. 
  • Eddie Redmayne was wonderful as Colin.
  • Kenneth Branagh was fantastic as Laurence Olivier.
  • The supporting cast of Dougray Scott, Dominic Cooper, Emma Watson, Julia Ormond, and Judi Dench were equally great.
  • I loved the lighting in this movie.
  • The story was very interesting.  You get a behind the scenes look at everything from how a movie was made back then to Marilyn's personal life.
  • Beautiful soundtrack.  I was impressed that Williams sung all of her own songs.
What I didn't like:
  • Emma Watson's wig looked very fake.
  • I think you need to know about Marilyn's background to fully understand why she acted the way that she acted.  Without knowing this, she can seem like a spoiled child.

Grade: A-

1 comment:

  1. At first I didn't like Michelle Williams as Marilyn. She just wasn't Marilyn until.... A few minutes into the movie Michelle made you believe she was Marilyn. The story of her and Colin was believable, I wanted to find out more. All around great acting, writing, directing and time period clothing. I now want to read Marilyn's biography. Life could of been different for her if....

    ReplyDelete