Tuesday, December 14, 2010

True Grit



I wasn’t expecting much from this film. The fact that there was this little girl, as a main character in a western film, was enough to peak my interest.

What I liked: Everything. It was cleverly written. It was funny. Not in a haha way but in a smart way. The acting was great. Hailee Steinfeld is a natural. Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon gave solid performances. The makeup and costume designs were fantastic.

What I didn’t like: How does Josh Brolin get top billing over Barry Pepper? Is it because he is an Oscar nominee? So what. I think Pepper had the same amount of screen time if not more and deserves to be recognized.

I know that this is a remake of the 1969 movie, so is that why it got snubbed from the Golden Globe Awards?  (for more on the Awards click here) I think that it could have done well in the Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical category. It was ten times better then this and this. And Steinfeld could have easily taken Angelina Jolie’s nomination.

Also, I find it funny that this is rated PG-13.  There were some pretty violent moments.  How many deaths does it take to get an R rating?  This is just one of many examples that make me question the Motion Picture Association of America...but that's another blog for another time.

Grade: A

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your 2nd paragraph. It was cleverly written. I give it a "go see it" vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haille was fantastic. Her first film? Agree, the makeup and costumes was right on. Very entertaining. I always liked Westerns, I grew up on them. :)

    ReplyDelete